Lutheranism in Baltimore has a long and storied history, beginning in 1760 when a group of members of the German Reformed Church retired to establish the first German Lutheran Church. Located on Saratoga Street, the church soon outgrew its building and moved to Gay and Lexington Streets in 1808. This church, Zion Church, is now known as the mother church of Lutheranism in the Baltimore metropolitan region. St. Mark's Evangelical Lutheran Church has also been a part of Baltimore's history for many years.
Originally located on Eutaw Street, St. Mark's was known for its thriving Sunday school. Waldo Newcomer, a businessman and church member, played an important role in selecting the new location and style of the building. Zion Church has been a constant presence among Lutherans in Maryland and among people from all backgrounds in the city.
It is known for its musical and worship traditions, dynamic educational program, and its taste for hospitality. As the area around the church became more commercial, Zion sought a new location that was more convenient for most members and a building that would support its growing Sunday School. Trinity Lutheran Church was one of the largest and most active congregations in Baltimore. Sadly, after 160 years, the congregation came to an end in the mid-1990s.