Lutheranism in Baltimore, Maryland dates back to 1760, when a group of members of the German Reformed Church retired to establish the first German Lutheran Church. Since then, many churches have been established in the city, with some of them becoming large and active congregations. One such example is the Trinity Lutheran Church, which was one of the largest and most active congregations in Baltimore for 160 years before it came to an end in the mid-1990s. In 1882, land in Violetville was donated to the congregation for use as a cemetery, and many members moved their dead from the old street.
In 1869, land was purchased south of the church property and a three-story school building was erected. Pastor George Johannes helped organize Emmanuel's English congregation in 1888. The building urgently needed to be repaired and the Immanuel Lutheran Church had been organized in east Baltimore. In addition, Pastor Wyneken expanded the school and drew up plans to establish branch schools in the east, northwest and south of Baltimore. By the end of 1864, the area surrounding the church was bustling with businesses and many church members had moved to the outlying districts of the city. Paul Lutheran Church School & has been blessed by God and has used those blessings to serve God and its neighbors. Paul's congregation had given 75 of its voting members to this newly created congregation and with them it went to the Eastern District School; therefore, in 1865 the decision was made to sell the old building and build two churches, one in each of the remaining school districts. Many churches broadcast their message through television or other media, and sometimes they reach a much larger number than those who attend the church physically.
Some churches report that they attend normally on Sundays, while others report the number of people listed in church records or making financial contributions, which may be higher.